When DeskStand offered me the opportunity to test out a beautifully designed standing desk, I jumped at the chance.

I’ve always loved the idea of standing while I work. Ever since I started the nine-to-five slog, I’ve seen the toll those eight- or nine-hour days have taken on my health.

Those occasional back pains, repetitive stress injuries from the awkward angles of my wrists – not to mention the havoc sitting on my bum all day has wreaked on my waistline! (You can read more about that here…)

I mean, how hard could it be? I’m healthy and relatively fit, I’ve recovered well from my knee surgery – easy peasy right?

My standing desk – The Jumbo, because I work with two screens – arrived in a long, flat box, and my Anti-Fatigue Mat was tucked away in another.

The DeskStand itself looked a little intimidating to set up at first, but I needn’t have worried. The four separate pieces weren’t heavy and slotted easily into their respective spaces without any trouble (who needs a man, right?). I was set up in less than five minutes.

I and I had to admit, even if the health considerations weren’t a factor, I’d love one of these bad boys in my office just for the aesthetic. The smooth, light wood is gorgeous, the design minimalist and tasteful. My favourite feature? The adorable little slot for my phone on the left-hand corner of the shelf.

So, standing desk all arranged (and decorated), I was ready and raring to go. As part of my package, I received a 2-week Standing Challenge pamphlet to guide me through my first phase with my new set-up.

For my first day, I’d only have to stand for an hour? I almost scoffed. Puh-lease. I’m strong and active – this was going to be a walk in the park.

But… OK, think about it. When was the last time you stood – up straight, not leaning on anything – for a full hour? In line for concert tickets? At the bank? And it was exhausting, right?

Well, I felt similarly when my first hour was up. It was a relief to flop back down into my office chair. My body simply wasn’t used to holding the position for so long, and I had been sinking down into a slouch when I stood – so my back ached, my calves ached and weirdly, the balls of my feet ached.

But the next day, that hour was a little easier. I adjusted my setup somewhat (who knew there were so many ways to work standing up?) but luckily, my jumbo stand can be arranged several ways. I also managed to dig up a separate wireless mouse and USB keyboard to plug into my laptop, so my screen could be on eye level without my arms bent at an award angle.

The day after – two hours. Tougher, but definitely not as bad as the first. And the two hours the day after that went by in a flash – I was actually about 15 minutes over when I realised my time was up – the perks of deadline day.

By the end of the week, I was totally comfortable with two hours – and definitely ready to level up to three!

I’ve also noticed I’m sleeping a bit better – although that may be because I’m so exhausted from being on my feet…

Stay tuned for a round-up at the end of week 2!




Hi, I’m Kirsti and this is my little blog. Tell me what you think in the comments section below!

Hi, I’m Kirsti and this is my little blog. Tell me what you think in the comments section below!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Adventure with me