As you may have guessed, 27 July 2018 is my 28th birthday.
I’m now officially, undeniably in my late 20s! I mean, when I was 27, I could kind of get away with still riding that mid-20s wave, but now… sheesh.
But along with the weird, grey hairs that seem to spring out of my ponytail on occasion (seriously though, is this normal??) I like to think I’ve gained a little more wisdom too. My 27th year was one of loss and heartache, but also of success, of achievement, of love. And I’m so proud of the girl – woman – who came out the other side.
You guys know I loooooove a good listicle – so why not a birthday-themed one? Yes, it’s super cheesy, but I had so much fun writing it. And honestly, it was a little cathartic too. Some of these items are cliché, some deep, some frivolous – but all true.
Or at least, 28-year-old me believes them to be.
- My mom is always right.
- K. Rowling usually is too.
- The idea that choosing a career you love means ‘you’ll never work a day in your life’ is absolute bullsh*t.
- On that note, choosing a career that I loved over a career that made me money was somehow the best and worst decision of my life. I don’t regret it one bit.
- Chocolate is, in moderation, good for you. Particularly after Dementor attacks.
- Climbing into an unmade bed is always awful.
- You should exercise for the health of your mind just as much as the health of your body.
- If he acts like he’s just not that into you, he isn’t. (And if he isn’t, he’s not really worth it now, is he?)
- A good book and a cup of tea can cure almost anything.
- Never pass up an opportunity to tell someone you love them.
- But never tell someone you love them if you don’t.
- Wear sunscreen!
- Pain demands to be felt. The only way out is through.
- Yeah, medical aid is a rip-off. But if you don’t have it, you’re going to regret it. Same as car insurance.
- ‘Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don’t.’ – Bill Nye
- Staying in touch with your ex is always, always a terrible idea.
- Skinny ≠ beautiful. It also ≠ happy.
- The only cure for writer’s block is to write. Just start, even if the first few sentences, pages are awful – the right words will come.
- The first pancake will never be good.
- You can’t ‘fix’ someone. Trust me, if you try you’ll end up hurting them, but yourself most of all.
- Never go to sleep with your make-up on. You’re asking for trouble.
- You cannot take responsibility for someone else’s happiness. Just like you can’t depend on someone else for yours.
- Nothing will change you like travel does.
- Never go shopping on an empty stomach.
- The best princesses rescue themselves.
- Your sister is the worst, best friend you’ll ever have.
- If you’re not sure about going ahead with something, ask yourself how you’ll feel when you wake up in the morning if you do. There’s your answer.
- You’re enough.
PHOTO: Tegan Smith
Hi, I’m Kirsti and this is my little blog. Tell me what you think in the comments section below!